Donegal English Language School welcomes you to the English and Surfing Camp based in Bundoran, County Donegal on the Wild Atlantic Way. The camp is suitable for individuals traveling alone, with friends or groups. We welcome students from over 14 countries and would love to welcome you.
About our Surf Centre
We offer quality coaching with experienced, qualified, local surfers. Our aim is to ensure your surfing skills progress in a fun and safe environment. We believe we can help you achieve your surfing goals by keeping groups small and providing personal attention to each student. Regular feedback is always given to students to ensure progression. We have a range of different boards for you to try, so you can progress
– all sizes of boards from 5’11 up to 9 foot
-5/3mm wetsuits and 3mm boots provided
– changing rooms, hot showers and post surf hot chocolate provided
-4 surf spots within a short driving distance
– male and female surf shop with 10% discount exclusive to Donegal English Language School students. (does not include Surf Co, own brand t-shirts and hoodies).
Our lessons are broken into three categories
Beginners: This is an introduction course to surfing. We work on the correct techniques to position on the board, paddle, getting through the waves and stand up. At this level our goal is to get you surfing the white water on your own, with a basic knowledge of currents, etiquette and technique. Ratio of students to instructor 1:8 max. We use a range of beginner soft boards from 7 foot to 9 foot.
Intermediate: Students focus on surfing techniques such as effective paddling, wave knowledge and selection, take off and bottom turning, trimming and duck diving. The courses also focus on surfing etiquette. We use video analysis to correct faults when appropriate. Ratio of students to instructor 1:8 max. We use a range of Torq intermediate soft top boards from 5’11 to 7’6.
Advanced: We are happy to accept students at advanced level. Please note that you will receive tuition on a Torq intermediate soft top board. Students work mainly on posture correction and technique, timing, positioning, turns and wave selection. We use video analysis to correct faults when appropriate. Ratio of students to instructor 1:8 max. We use a range of Torq intermediate soft top boards from 5’11 to 7’6. If you would prefer to surf on your own board or a hard board, we recommend that you join our advanced group hardboard group from August 11th – 25th
Own boards can only be brought, if joining the advanced programme mid to end august.
A minimum of five students and max of 12 is needed for the advanced programme to run. If there are less than five students, the students will move to the intermediate programme. The advanced programme runs last 2 weeks of august and students have a full range of hard boards to choose from – sizes 6’1 to 8’0. Ratio of students to instructor 1:6 and the instructor is level 2 ISA approved. Video analysis used if, and when conditions are suitable. Extra cost of the advanced programme is €110 per person. This is refunded if we do not meet the required student numbers.
Our evening activities include water sports, onsite discos, bowling, treasure hunts, cinema, art and music workshops, talent shows, silly olympics, outdoor sports, team building etc.
We also provide a cultural excursion along with an opportunity for the students to shop every Saturday. Some of the destinations include:
- Omagh Folk Park and Omagh Town
- Go Kart Racing and Derry City
- Slieve League and Donegal Town
- Parkes Castle and Sligo Town
- Lough Key National Park and Carrick on Shannon
- 15 hours of tuition per week
- 5 surfing tuition sessions
- 5 evening activities (3 if host family) and cultural excursion each week
- A tailor made English language programme to suit you
- Full board in residential or host family accommodation
- Local transfers to school and activities. No bus or train tickets needed
- A teachers report & certificate of attendance & achievement
- Ages: 11 – 17 year old
- We also run separate weeks every summer for students who are 8-11 years of age. For more information, please contact us.
- Level: From beginner to Advanced
- Arrivals/Departures: Sunday only. Groups may be accepted on other days, please contact us for further details
- Surf Camp: We also offer a surf camp programme where the English classes in the morning are replaced by additional surf sessions. Please contact us for further information.
- Free WIFI
- Free DELS bag
Bundoran, popularly known as Ireland’s Premier Seaside Resort and Surf Capital, is located on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean along the Wild Atlantic Way. This is an ideal place to live, visit, or simply to relax. Bundoran and the surrounding area offers a wealth of activities and facilities to suit all tastes.
Bundoran has been the destination choice of tourists since the 18th century. It has everything expected of a seaside town along with breathtaking countryside, stunning coastlines.
Annual festivals in and around Bundoran provide excellent opportunities for international visitors to make friends easily. These include Sea Sessions, Rory Gallagher Festival, October Country Music Festival and Ballyshannon Folk Festival to name but a few.
With many traditional Irish pubs offering live music, nightclubs, shows, restaurants, it is easy to find something to do during the evenings.
For the outdoor enthusiast activities include golf, hill walking, surfing, kayaking, horse riding, deep sea fishing and cycling.
If you are coming with the family , there is a wide range of activities to choose including bowling, cinema, waterworld, adventure park, indoor play centre
Whichever course is chosen, Bundoran provides a good base for travelling along the Wild Atlantic Way including Slieve League, Glenveagh National Park, Donegal Castle, Lisadell House, Mullaghmore, Glencar Waterfalls, Sligo Town, Parkes Castle, Omagh Folk Park to name a few.
Students can also easily visit some of Ireland’s major cities and cultural sites.
Sligo 30 minutes Derry 1.5 hours
Galway 2.5hours Belfast 2.5hours
Dublin 3 hours
The residential accommodation consists of a small complex of spacious 4 bedroom houses. The facilities of the house include 4 bedrooms, 3 to 4 bathrooms, a spacious kitchen, sitting room and all mod cons. The houses are situated in a quiet cul de sac less than one minute’s walk from the Atlantic Ocean and Donegal Bay and 15 minutes walk from the town centre. There is a pedestrian walk way from the houses along the sea front to the town centre.
Where possible our student co-ordinator ensures nationality mix in each house which aids English language learning and cultural awareness.
The junior residential accommodation is based on 8 – 11 students (two to four students per room and 1 co-ordinator per house. Full board is included for the junior packages.
All host families are personally known to us and ensure a warm Irish welcome to all guests. Generally there are 1/2/3 junior students per family. Juniors residing at host family have their lunch and dinner at the residential centre three evenings per week in order to ensure that they mix well with the other students.
Self Catering, Bed and Breakfast/Hotel Accommodation
We work closely with a select number of self catering providers, bed and breakfasts and hotels all within a short distance of the school. Please let us know your choice and we will organise your preferred accommodation.
1 wk 1-2-1
|English & Surfing(Easter, 9 June-25 August)||15 hours of General English, 5 surf lessons, shared room residential/host family, full board & social activity package||€865||€1635||€2440||€3150||€1335|
|English & Riding/Surfing||15 hours of General English, 5 afternoons riding/surfing, shared room residential/host family, full board & social activity package||€1655||€2435||€3180|
|English & Surfing/Multi Activity||15 hours of General English, 5 afternoons surfing/multi activity, shared room residential/host family, full board & social activity package||€1590||€2355||€3075|
|Surf Camp (9 – 25 June & 4-25 August 2019)||10 surf sessions, shared room residential/host family, full board & social activity package||€885||€1745|
From Dublin are €70 each way and transfers times are between 11 am – 6 pm. Arrival times are between 11 – 6 pm. Departure times are between 11 am – 6 pm.
From Knock are €50 each way for two or more and €95 each way for individuals
Group transfers can be organised from Dublin, Belfast and Knock airports. Prices vary depending on group size so please contact us for a quote.
1.European citizens must bring a EHIC European Health Insurance Card (E128). Medical Insurance can be arranged at a cost of approximately.
- €40 for four weeks or under
- €50 for six weeks or under
- €55 for 12 weeks or under
2. There is a €40 supplement per week for host family in June, July and August.
3. A fee of €45 per week applies to students who have special dietary requests eg nut allergy, celiac. A fee of €15 per week applies to students who are lactose intolerant.
4. For group prices or for prices on the Language, Culture and Activity Package (September to May) please contact us direct.
5. On Bank Holiday Mondays (18 March, 22 April, 6 May, 3 June & 28 October 2019), there will be no English classes, students are offered an excursion in place.