Donegal English Language School is committed to protecting your privacy in compliance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR 2018) as well as the Data Protection Act 2018 and any other relevant legislation.
Who we are and what we do
Donegal English Language School, West End, Bundoran, Co Donegal is a provider of English language and adventure packages. Our services include English language tuition, assessment, placement, examinations, research, accommodation, social activities, excursions and transfers.
This data protection policy and privacy statements explains how Donegal English Language School collects and uses personal data.
Collection and use of personal information
We do not store any personal information about you on our website apart from information which you volunteer (for example by using our online feedback form). Any personal information which you volunteer will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1988 and Data Protection (Amendment) Act 2003. Accordingly, we shall only process such information in line with the purpose for which you provided it; to the extent necessary to provide you with the information or service you require. DELS shall not disclose your information to third parties unless you are specifically informed otherwise or we require a third party to process the information on our behalf (in which case DELS requires these third parties to comply with its instructions and we require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes, unless you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way).
What information do we collect and why do we use it?
- We need to collect information when you book an English course with us.
- You will be asked for your name, nationality, spoken languages, gender, address, date of birth, contact details, flight details, medical emergency contacts and details of any medical/educational needs.
- You may also be asked for your passport or visa details if required, and specific medical and dietary information regarding your accommodation or study needs.
- If partaking in an activity programme, you will be asked for further details pertaining to your level of riding/surfing/golf. For riding, you will be asked for your height and weight.
- During school activities, photographs may be taken of students. School photos may be used on our managed social media pages and marketing materials.
- We require permission to use this information or any photographs taken of you. You may request this data at any time or tell us to remove it from our school records unless it is kept for legal reasons.
- Host families will be requested to supply details including, name, address, family details, phone number, email address, financial information and Garda clearance details
We use your personal student data for the following purposes:
- To successfully enroll students on our language programmes and accommodation options.
- To help our academic team and teachers place students in a class at the correct level.
- To process financial transactions and operate the language school.
- To maintain our student, employee, agent and host family files.
- To maintain our health and safety records.
- To maintain our own financial accounts and academic records.
- To meet our accreditation requirements.
- To assist non-EEA students in applying for a student visa in Ireland.
- To assist in opening Irish bank accounts where applicable.
- To order medical insurance where requested and required.
- To maintain attendance records for immigration services.
- To promote the school and communicate with students regarding events and news.
- To enrol students in English language examinations.
We use your host family student data for the following purposes:
- To consider your application to become a host family
- To consider the placement of a suitable student in your family
- To respond to any requests or in emergency situations
- To maintain, improve and deliver our services
- To share your information with potential students/agents acting on behalf of the potential students who may reside with you.
How do we collect personal data?
Personal data may be collected from you, or from a representative acting on your behalf when:
· Information is requested from us on our products or services via email/telephone/in person
· A booking, application or enquiry form is completed
· Our website is visited and web based services are used
· Through engagement on our social media channels
· Competitions are entered
· You participate in feedback sessions or complete our feedback forms
How do we use personal data?
We will use your personal data to help us to:
· Deliver the products and services you have booked with us
· Monitor, develop and improve our products and services
· Provide information on products or services that you have enquired about or that may be of interest to you
Do we share personal data?
Personal data is shared only in the following circumstances:
· To ensure delivery of the products and services you have booked with us,
· To engage with authorised parties, such as agents who operate on your behalf
· To comply with any legislation, immigration, regulators or other governmental institution
Do we transfer your personal data to other countries?
If it is needed to share your data with an authorised party e.g agent outside of the EU, we will ensure all suitable protections are in place
How long do we hold personal data?
We hold personal data for as long as necessary subject to legal requirements and obligations.
How long is the retention period?
Subject to any legal requirements, we intend to hold your personal date for the duration of your studies and accommodation stay with us. Your name, address, email and phone number will be stored indefinitely for marketing purposed unless you request to unsubscribe or as a host family, you notify us that you are no longer available to take students.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
While we protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/files in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
What are your rights?
You can ask us for a copy of the personal data that we hold about you, along with the collection, processing or sharing of this data. You can also request us to update or delete the personal data we already have.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance contact Gina Witherow (Director)
Donegal English Language School